Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Try It Tuesday #5

This was almost a try it Tuesday that wasn't. Look at the time and the temperature. It was so hot. It was so late. I had spent the better part of the day at UVU with Kelsi. She was inside the testing center and I was outside reading under the shade of a tree. In Orem that day I felt 100 degrees for the first time this summer.
I had talked myself out of baking anything.  Then Logan's cute voice asked me too.  How could I resist.  I was glad I made them after I was done.  They were absolutely delicious  
Today's Try It Tuesday was named
Lunch Lady Peanut Bars
 I found the recipe in the cookbook, Six Sisters Stuff. 
 I tried them from this cute description in the recipe book.
 I quote the book.
"I don't know about you, but at my elementary school they served amazing desserts.  Sometimes I find myself craving the lunch ladies' chocolate cake or homemade cinnamon rolls.  Elyse gave me this recipe from Mom's old recipe box, and it is seriously spot-on to what the lunch ladies served.!"


I personally don't have any memories of any lunches served to my at any time during my school years.  Perhaps that is because I never had to buy a school lunch and I had delicious food made for me by my sweet mother.  I could not wait to get out of school to see what she had made that day. 

I can't imagine these bars being made now at a school. 
 One, because of all the new standards of the kids lunches and 
two because of the peanut allergy risk.  

Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tea vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups peanut butter, divided
2 cups oats (not quick-cooking)
2 cups flour
1 tea baking soda
1 tea salt
Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
1 tea vanilla
3 Table cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar

  1. Preheat oven 350.  Grease 9 x 13 pan.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together sugars and butter. 
  3.  Add vanilla, eggs and 1 cup peanut butter, and mix well. 
  4.  Stir in oats, flour, baking soda and salt. 
  5. Spread dough on prepared pan and bake 15 minutes.
  6. While hot, spread remaining 1 1/2 cups peanut butter on top.  
  7. Cool so that the peanut butter solidifies again.  (Use the fridge)
  8. Beat all ingredients for frosting with electric mixer.  
  9. Spread frosting over bars and cut into bars.  
My notes - - - Cook longer 3 - 4 minutes, Let cool 10 minutes before spreading peanut butter over the top.  My frosting needed more powdered sugar and a bit more milk.  
Kim gave them a 2 thumbs up.  He said he ate one everyday!!