Friday, July 18, 2014

New Quilt, Old Quilt Abandoned

This summer I wanted a new hobby. I had several ideas and have tried several things.
 One thing I wanted to do was to make a quilt. I have made a strip one but I wanted to try something harder. Faith and I went to the fabric store with the idea in my mind to make a quilt out of creams and whites. Somehow after selecting a cart full of fabric we changed our mind and set the pile of bolts on a shelf down low in the store and proceeded to start new with other fabrics.
 We cheerfully bought our fabric and the next day I started cutting it. 
 Then the day after that I started sewing it. 


I hated it.  I walked around my house and wondered where I would put this quilt.
  It did not match anything in my house.  I went in for something and came out with something else.
  I quietly kept this to myself.  Then a text came from my sister, "Honestly, do you like this quilt?" 
 I replied no.  We decided before we dumped anymore money into this project we would abandon it. 
 I put the quilt squares "as is" on Facebook and it was snatched up in minutes.  Faith let me put her fabric on my Facebook and it too was gone quickly.  Her fabric went to a teacher who teaches sewing at the Jr. High.  It will become a class project and then be donated to a shelter.  
Photo: I am abandoning this quilt. It was not me. I have all the squares cut, 40 sewed and of those 40, 20 are pressed and starched.  I was using the blog cluck, cluck sew to make it come together. Message me if you want these, save them from DI.

That afternoon we headed back to the fabric store.
  As we got in there and started looking around Faith said I wish the fabric we had chosen was still all together and we did not have to find it again. 
We laughed because it had been a week since we were there.  We slowly walked over the the area we had stacked the bolts and look, there they are!
  Of course we found this very funny. 
 It made it easier. We put some back and picked some more and headed to the cutting table. 

Here is the new fabric.  Much better choices. 

A completed square.  And as the project continues I fall more and more in love with this fabric, stay tuned for the completed project.  I learned a valuable lesson - to go with what you know to be true.