Friday, October 28, 2011

Soup Thursday

For Kelsi's Birthday we got a Costco ham. The soup I made with the leftover ham was the best. I did not have to boil the bone and pull off that stringy, fatty meat. I just chopped up the leftovers and added them later in the recipe. I like my way of making this soup. The recipe comes from Betty Crockers Cookbook. I made scones to go with the soup. The recipe for them is on this blog. They are the best!



Split Pea Soup
8 cups water
1 pound dried split peas
1 medium onion, chopped about 1/2 cup
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 medium carrots, diced about 1 cup
2 medium stalks of celery, diced about 1 cup
Ham cut into squares

*Heat water and peas to boiling. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 hour.
*Stir onion, salt and pepper into peas. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 1 hour.
*Stir ham, carrots, celery into soup. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender about 45 minutes.





For this next soup, don't tell anyone it has a macaroni and cheese packet in it for flavoring. Let them taste this soup first. They will not believe you. I have made this soup for potlucks at school/work and everyone asks for the recipe. It is so simple and good.
It's a thin soup. I have already changed the recipe to have more flour in it. I have decided that it is just a thinner soup and that is OK. Have saltines handy. Don't worry about cutting broccoli small just cut it like you would for steaming. It all stirs into pieces. Enjoy this one...it's fast.

Broccoli and Cheese Soup from What's for Dinner?
5 cups water
2 t. chicken bouillon
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups broccoli, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 T. butter
4 1/2 T. flour
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 cheese packet from macaroni and cheese box
1 cup cheddar cheese

*Bring water to a boil. Add bouillon and stir until dissolved. Add vegetables.
*Cover and cook on med heat for 20 minutes or until tender.
*Melt butter in med saucepan on med-high heat. Stir in flour until smooth.
*Slowly add evaporated milk, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and thick. Add spices.
*Mix in cheese packet and cheese. Remove from heat and stir until cheese is melted.
*Combine with vegetables and water. Stir until smooth.


I experimented with this salad. I must say it tasted like a 8 dollar salad from a nice restaurant. I loved heaping it on a plate and serving it with the soup. Here is what I did. I cut up lettuce and spinach. I put in large bowl. I added bacon bits, feta cheese and cut up apple. (I used the slapper.) Then I tossed with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing.
I may be serving this at Thanksgiving!





If you want to look at my sisters post she has recipes for her soups.  Think about the possibalities for you!  Lot's of recipes for you!  Here blog is http://aftereightquilter.blogspot.com/.