Thursday, October 27, 2011

Soup Thursday

My twin sister, Faith and I started a Soup Thursday tradition.  We are making a soup every Thursday and posting the recipe.
(Disclaimer.......these are not gourmet soups with fancy ingredients, they are soups that I can make starting at 4:00, dog tired after work.......)

The first week I made a Corn Chowder,  I have made a corn chowder once before in my married life and I spent the night in the bathroom, too rich.  This corn chowder was a better fit for me.

Corn Chowder
4-5 potatoes, peeled finely diced
1 small onion, finely diced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tea pepper
* Cover with water and boil until tender.
*In a skillet make a rue with
2 cups canned milk
1/2 cube butter
Thicken with 4 TBLS cornstarch and 1/2 cup flour
*Stir into the cooked potatoes
*Add
2 cans creamed corn
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded

The next week I made Beef and Barley Soup.  This one was so good.  I used fresh mushrooms and sent them through the slapper and once they were in the soup, so good.  ( I have 2 mushroom haters who ate the soup)

Beef and Barley Soup
1 1/2 lbs sirloin steak
1 T. oil
5 cups water
1 T. beef bouillon
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 lb mushrooms, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 onion, chopped
1 t. salt
1/2 cup pearl barley

Cut the meat into small pieces.  Heat oil in large pot.
Add meat and cook on med high heat until browned. 
Stir in water and beef bouillon.  Bring to boil.  Lower heat and cover.
Simmer for 2 hours.  Add remaining ingredients and stir. 
Simmer for 30 minutes.