Saturday, October 29, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

Homemade Laundry Soap
5 gallon bucket w/lid
1 bar Fels Naptha Soap
3 gallons boiling water
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda (in a yellow box by laundry detergent)
1/2 cup Oxi Clean
2 gallons hot tap water


Shred whole bar of soap
Put in bucket - Add boiling water
Stir until dissolved and add borax, soda and oxi clean
Stir until dissolved
Add 2 gallons hot tap water, stir again
Cover and store overnight
Stir next day, top will be like Jello
Put in usable container
Use 1/4 cup in laundry
This is all you need to make your own homemade laundry soap.  My sister, Faith was talking all about how everyone in her neighborhood is making it.  She wanted to try it.  I was all for it.  I buy a box of laundry soap every 2 weeks....I figure this will save me hundreds of dollars!!!!!!!!!
The recipe says to shred the Fels Naptha.  Fels Naptha is hard and I guessed I would probably shred my finger before I was done, so I pulled out my food processor.  It worked like a charm.  After all it's just soap so it will clean up!
You do have to push down pretty hard and cut it in smaller pieces first
It foamed out of the top of the bucket.  Mops right up, after all it's soap.
The ingredients were $11.05. This will last to make several batches, you only would have to buy a new bar of Fels Naptha. This also would be a good storage option.  You could always have a batch on hand to make if you needed too.  I was a little worried.  But I have to say after using it for a month now it's great.  My towels are cleaner and my whites are good.  It even passed the football smelly uniform test and hot chocolate down the front of brand new Under Armor white tee test.
You can either save it in an old laundry liquid dispenser or if you have a great friend like I do who buys her soap at Costco you can beg, borrow or steal one of these handy dispensers.  You do have to shake it from time to time.  Using the little cup that comes with it on the middle line, this container has lasted me one whole month.  I refilled it and I still have 1/2 a bucket in my garage!  My sister and I also purchased a gadget to open the 5 gallon bucket......saves the fingers and the nails.