Monday, April 28, 2014

Spring Still Came

3 months ago my dear friend passed away from colon cancer. I walk by her house when I walk my route in my neighborhood. Before she got real sick with her cancer I wondered what it would be like to walk by when she was gone. I would shake by head as if to say, don't think of it. Then around August when I could see her getting sicker the season changed to fall and then winter. Of course the surroundings outside her house looked different in the winter. Brown grass, no leaves on the trees, summer flowers gone. I have to say her house looked sad. After she passed in January in the worst of winter, her yard looked empty.  When I walk by I still pretend she is in there. Sitting in her room in her recliner. One Saturday morning about 2 weeks ago I walked by her house and as looked at the trees along her sidewalk I saw blossoms on their cottonwood trees. The thought came into my head, "Spring still came." As tears came into my eyes, I realized spring still came, even in their grief and mine.