Saturday, July 16, 2011

Kim's Birthday

Before you read this post I have to say that I did not do any research on this hike before we went on it. In fact, I never really thought of it as a hike. That was pure craziness of me.
We talked about what to do for Kim's birthday.  We have lived in Utah for almost 4 years.  We have heard about people, sports teams and athletes hiking the Y.  So without even thinking we decided to do it.
Here we are here getting ready to start.  We grabbed our waters and I had some jolly ranchers to help with the thirstiness of the heat of the day. 
Here is a picture of the map of the hike.  We glanced at it and started off.  There had been an accident of a boy falling on turn 5 and so there was a little more activity at the start than normally would be consisting  of fireman, aid people and an ATV bringing him down and we just headed off and up.
It was steeper than I thought it would be.  Logan and Kelsi had no problem as they are in great shape. On the other hand Kim's lungs don't expand like they should and he coughs, sometimes battling for breath.  2 years ago I attended girls camp at Little Cottonwood Canyon and we hiked a ski lift.  I was at the back huffing and puffing.  Needless to say even with working out everyday and losing 10 pounds I was still at the back huffing and puffing.  When I was about to give up a man came down who was jogging it and said hang it there the first half is the worst and you are almost there.  It's funny but on the way down I said the same thing to a couple hiking up.  Another funny thing is I saw people coming down in the same shape as me or worse and I thought to myself, "hang in there if they can do it you can"  Then on my down I could see them looking at me thinking the same thing. 
We made it to the top.  I hate to say it took about 45 min or even an hour.  I forgot to look at the time when we first got to the top due to the fact that.....1.  I was so pleased to be there and 2. I was so lightheaded.  The view was amazing.  Here is a true confession.  I have always seen the Y from the ground even the freeway and always thought it was made of wood.  I imagined them whitewashing it to keep it white.  Well, no it is made from cement and rocks were in it.  It was bumpy and white like the moon surface would be.
View towards Salt Lake and the end of Utah Lake. We live out there across at the base of the other mountain.
View of BYU and Utah Lake.
On the way down we saw the cutest family walking up.  They were from Washington and the kids were close in age and there was 3 of them.  The oldest boy was having the hardest time up and the dad was carrying the littlest on his shoulders.  We stopped where they were stopped and gave them encouragement and the rest of our jolly ranchers.  The dad was telling them they could do it.  I sure hope they did.  Then we walked a little more down and we all turned to each other and said they aren't going much farther.
The day ended with us eating at 5 Guys burger place and enjoying a banana cream pie that Jake bought and we will research a hike better next time.  Jeez, let the parents live, especially Kim to the age of 50, his next birthday next year.