Thursday, July 28, 2011

"His" Hand in My Life

I saw a 8 hour job listed at Westlake High School and I applied not really thinking I would get an interview.  The job was only open for a week and it was during Pioneer Day (holiday in Utah) so with the weekend the job was only open 4 days.    I applied because I was afraid that my hours were going to be cut and be only 5 hours a day. Then they had listed the start date to be Aug 8.  I assumed that there was no way they could interview, hire and get it together that fast so I guessed it was an inside job for someone and just a posting to cover the job legally.  (Yes, they do that.) 

Westlake called me on Tuesday and wanted to interview me.  I almost hyperventilated.  I called them back and there was only 4 time slots.  I typed up a personal and business reference sheet to take with me because both my principal and my lead secretary are not at my school anymore so I gave them their cell numbers. 

I did not sleep at all that night the day before the interview.  I was awake from 2 15 to 4 10.  How would I stand out, would I say the right things. what should I wear, yikes!

My interview was at 8:30 so I arose when I woke Logan for football at 5:35 and did everything like I normally would so I would feel normal, ran on treadmill, drank my green tea and read the newspaper.  I prayed that I would stand out and I would know what to say.

I got there early but not too early.  I spit out my gum before they called my name.  I knew two ladies who were there that morning and I chatted with them.  He came out to get me in a polo shirt not a shirt and tie so he surprised me.  Luckily I was just smiling at my friend not carrying on and being loud.

I interviewed well.  I said good answers.  I relaxed the more I talked.  I tried not to jiggle my foot or say too much.  The best thing I said was at the end he asked me to rate my organizational level from 1 to 10. I said 10 and then twinkled my eyes and laughed and said OK 9.5, waved my hand and arm and said well what can I say.

He said they would get back to me by the weekend.  I said OK and I work tomorrow so I will just be quiet about this.  He said when could you start?  I said I have to give notice.  He said I will get to you by the end of the day.  I surged with hope.

At 11:00 my phone rang and he offered me the job.  I accepted with thanks.  Now to tell my school.  Yikes so hard.  Another sleepless night.  For 2 hours in the night I just thought and thought what have I gotten myself into, how early will I have to get up, I won't have time to exercise, what if I can't do it.....what if I bit off more than I can chew.  All those thoughts and more kept running through my mind.

Today I headed into the school a little nervous.  The smells of the school greeted me and made me sad.  I saw a few of my favorite teachers and I missed them already.  I took things to classrooms empty of children but waiting for the new school year.  I took the new lead secretary aside and told her.

I saw relief on her face and I thought that is weird.  Then I found out.  They had just been told that morning that one whole secretary's hours had to be elimated from the front.  They would have to shorten both our hours and "find" something else for us to do.

I was helped all along, guided in the application and the interview process.  I now have a job for 8 hours a day doing something I love.  I am the copy girl at Westlake and they said I will push between 3 and 4 thousand papers a day through there.  I will sort the mail and give to teachers in their boxes, 77 teachers in all.....2 things that I love.   I have been blessed again.  I am so thankful.

So my summer vacation came to an abrupt end.  I am starting work on Monday.  This blog will change. I no longer will have cute stories about kids or the funny way they used the phone.  I will other tales to tell and I will be making new friends and I am so thankful.