Saturday, November 6, 2010

3 Experiences with First Graders

#1 An older sister brings her first grade brother into the office at lunch time crying because he is hurt and she says "Take good care of him, he's special to me he's my brother." Her friend next to her says "Yeah, next year I will have my brother here and he is special to me too."

#2 A First grade boy is sick in class and so the teacher brings him to the office. We call the mom and yes she will come and pick him up. We send him to class to get his backpack and he comes back to the office to wait. He is not waiting in the sick room but with us in "the purple chairs". He waits awhile like 25 min and then lunch starts so the office/sick room is full with the doors opening and shutting every minute..... We are both so busy I come up the hall from the teachers lounge area and I notice he is gone. Karen has been in and out of the sick room and I ask her if his mother came. She says no. I grab the clipboard and say "well, if she came she did not sign him out". We open the emergency card binder pull out his card and Karen calls the house phone. No one answered so she leaves a message and as she is holding the pink card getting ready to call the mom's cell the mom comes in and says I found my child walking out front. Thank goodness we had noticed him gone and had called and was calling. That's all I can say...well and thank goodness she came when she did. We asked her to tell him the rules. (He said he got tired of waiting.)

#3 Each grade level during the day hold their own recess and during the First grade recess on Friday a boy got mad and left recess and went around the side of the building. Luckily we had a boy notice and he did the right thing but running to the office to tell us. We immediately intercom-ed across the whole school for him to come to the office and the crossing guard who was there waiting for kindergarten to get over heard the announcement, saw him and brought him back. He said he was going to walk home. Scary.....he was heading for Redwood Road and he lives in Sunrise Meadows a subdivision way over by the high school. The boy who noticed him leave and did the right thing by running and telling us lives by me and is the cutest boy.