Tuesday, January 5, 2010

18 years

We have a new worker helping with recess and 2 hours of aide time.
Yesterday was her first day. She was supposed to leave but got busy and stayed later.
I enrolled 11 new students yesterday. Near the end of the day I was entering a student in the computer and his mother came in. I said, "Oh look, I am just putting your child in the computer." (Frankly I am surprised I remembered her!) The new student, her child, was supposed to wait at the school, it was his first day but he was not out front. She wondered if he rode the bus home, so I went into the media center where the teachers were meeting to ask his teacher if he rode the bus and he had.
Meantime our new employee was leaving and filling out her time card and guess what? They knew other but it had been since 1992 since they have seen each other.
They had lived by each other in Provo back in 1992 and had been walking partners. They stood there and caught up on each others lives and exchanged phone numbers. They both live in the Saratoga Springs neighborhood and are both new to the area. They live in different wards so it might have been awhile or never until their paths crossed. One said to the other, "Here I'll walk you out" and the other said, "OK, I have to get my coat."
I listened to their conversation a little as I worked there, putting new students in the computer and then thought about it after they left and really it was amazing....18 years!
And if she had not stayed later.....