Thursday, June 6, 2013

Logan, A Basketball Tourney, and A Town Named Payson

It was 2 days of firsts:
The first time I have attended a basketball tournament by myself.
The first time I have driven so far, both in Utah and also by myself in my new car.
The first time I have been to a town named Payson.
The first time Logan and the team he was playing on WON ALL 5 GAMES.


The tournament started Friday with 3 games spread out over 9 hours.  It was held in both the Jr high and the high school in Payson.  They share the same parking lot.  The school is 100 years old!  And the bathrooms were too!  I took a cooler, my I-Pad, my Kindle, a picnic blanket and chair.  I prepared myself to relax between the games.  Logan watched his other teams play in the tournament so there was less down time for him.  I loved the town of Payson.  They grow cherries there and I want to go back when they are in season.  They have older buildings to look at and older homes which I love.  We discovered a Texaco gas station with a huge snack selection anchored on each side by a Subway and an Arbys.  Now, Logan thought this was funny because right now on TV there is an ad running where Arbys makes fun of the the meat at Subway.

I have a counselor at school who built his home in Payson during this last school year with a program that lets them all work on each others homes.  He and his neighbors built 11 homes.  I had gotten updates all year long so when I heard I was going to Payson I got directions to his new home.  I wanted to see what I had been hearing about.  It is built right by the new temple being built down there.   Beautiful area with fields behind him in a lovely neighborhood.

Saturday we left quite early to get to his first game.  After his game we went to I HOP in Springville and then went back to Payson to wait for his last game.  I sat in a grassy field and read while waiting.  I have to admit, I never take time to relax so it felt so good.  As we starting the last game I knew we had to win because up until that point we had not lost.  The boys did not disappoint.  They played the greatest ball I have seen during this tournament.  They stayed on their toes while on defense and had a full court press the whole game, always moving.  When they were on offense they passed the ball to each other continuously and worked it in for the shot.  I was glad to be able to watch them play this well.

I put over 200 miles on my car in 2 days, I got to watch him play with his friends  and I got to spend time one on one with my favorite Logan.  It was a fun 2 days to kick off my summer.