Sunday, May 22, 2011

What a day

UVU held the GWC championships here on their brand new track.
After an hour and a half weather delay we were ready to watch Jake run the 200. He had qualified Friday and ran real well and all his years' work was ready to be shown.
He got down in blocks. I hid my eyes and turned my back. I said, "He won't run as well if I am here I make him nervous." I heard the pop of the starting gun and as quick as I could turn around I heard the pop of the gun going again. Oh no someone false started, please don't let it be Jake. I turned to look at Kim and he nodded his head. I covered my hand over my mouth and watched horror stricken as the judge walked and tapped Jake on his chest. He was out. I walked out of the track crying ready to throw up. As I passed him walking I mouthed it's ok to him. (What else does a mom say!)
As Kim and I were driving home we just hoped that UVU did not lose the track meet by a few points, the points Jake would have earned by placing in his race.
We came home and I was downstairs vacumning. I could hear Kim's voice excitily talking on his phone. I went upstairs and Jake had run a leg in the final race of the meet for someone who was hurt and had ran the 400 in 48 seconds his fastest time ever. Not only did UVU win the 4X400 relay but they won the meet by one point.



Below is the article in our newspaper.
There's a reason Utah Valley University's Skylar Burningham runs the anchor leg in the men's 4 X 400 meter race.

He may be a freshman but he's so cool under pressure he sweats ice cubes.

After three days of events, the Great West Conference track meet went to the final race, in fact, the final lap of the final event.

Win and the men's track team would complete a three-peat.

Lose and the Wolverines would be dethroned by South Dakota.

Burningham wouldn't be denied. He started the race about three meters behind South Dakota's Parker Erickson, but just over half way he took the lead.

Is there such a thing as a walk-off win in track?

Burningham opened up his lead to finish the race in first and help the UVU men's team hold off South Dakota and win the meet 207 to 206.

"For me it was all or nothing. I wanted to show that even though it's my first year that I could do something for the team," Burningham said. "Everyone came up to me and gave me a hug. It was pretty emotional. It was a great feeling."

After Burningham crossed the finish line, he was hugged by jubilant teammates and lifted into the air.

It only got better. Burningham looked up at the scoreboard and saw the time his team ran a time of 3:12.91. There's now a new school record to share with Drew Clarke, Jacob Brydson and Andrew Graham.

The win in the 4 X 400 capped off a series of clutch performances for UVU that helped the Wolverines win the conference title again.

"We knew we had some kids in good positions (heading into the final day) to maybe win it. They came out and competed really well. I wish the men wouldn't have given me a heart attack by waiting until the last race," said UVU coach Scott Houle. "We had some kids do some things I don't think even they thought they could do. They had a fun time representing their university and coming out with the championship."