Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Today "takes the cake"

What does that even mean? Takes the cake?

That is what I thought about today as I was walking home from school. Today takes the cake, it just formed in my head. It was a totally different day.

As my blog readers know we at school made a spread sheet and we have columns and a line for a name and a place to check why the student is in the office.
Every night before I go home I total the number of students we have helped and write it on there, file it away in the binder and put out another sheet for the new day.

Today I was astounded to see that we had helped 49 children...one away from 50....and it felt like it! I got yelled at 3 times on phone calls.

Remember this year I am not making the decision if the student is sick, I call each and every time and let the parent make the decision. If the parent thinks the student is faking let them talk it out with the student over dinner. If the parent is sick of coming to get the student and taking them home to have them not be sick let them figure it out. I will not do it this year. I will call a parent and offer Tylenol. You can talk to your student, I will let you. Provided that your student can follow directions and will go to the phone and answer it when it is ringing. I had one today just stand and look at me blankly as the phone was ringing and then I said go and get it that's your mom. He looked at me dumbfounded..... well it stopped ringing and then I have to call them back, then he tried to push the door open to leave and it's a pull door. He came back to us an hour later and did the same thing to the door and he was not young!

We filled one sheet and had to start another. We had it all today....splinter, bloody noses, yes more than one, stomach aches, headaches, wet pants, door knobs in eyes, suspected fevers, ringworm and 2 cases of pink eye, stomach aches, stomach aches and more stomach aches. I heard one boy tell his mom that he ate too much candy yesterday and now his tummy hurt.

A little 2nd grader had a spacer in his teeth for braces. It hurt so I gave him Tylenol and he talked to his mom. She told me that there was nothing we could do. He came back later and said it still hurt, he had his whole hand in his mouth and was pulling. I said, "Stop and you are going home in 15 min just make sure you tell your mom." His mom came when school had only 5 minutes left. He had gone back into his class and pulled it out and it was bleeding. She thought he called from the office and was surprised that he was not there. I told her that he had been down and I told him to stop trying to pull it out. Well he succeeded in getting it out and there she was to get him. :(

This was a true Tuesday though because I looked back through the binder since we have been keeping track and Tuesdays are our biggest days. I don't know why. Early out Mondays they get to leave early and then Tuesday hits, "Wham, I don't want to be here." "Mom, come and get me."

To satisfy my question I looked up what takes the cake means and it means that the idea suggested is the best one there. If something "takes the cake", that means that it is the best, the favorite, the coolest, the most elaborate, ect.
But it can also mean
1. To be the most outrageous or disappointing.
2. To win the prize; be outstanding.

Ok so that does not fulfill the definition there! Today was not the best, the favorite or anything like that! It could have been the most outrageous and it certainly won the prize.