Sunday, February 20, 2011

Carl Bloch's exhibit at BYU

We took advantage of my parents visiting here from Spokane Wa to take a family trip to see the art exhibit at BYU showcasing Carl Bloch.





It was something I have never seen before and it was amazing. Upon entering the exhibit you stand in a room and watch a video telling about Carl Bloch's life and from that very moment you know he was someone special with an amazing talent.

While I read about him this struck me: He came from the prosperous middle class. I wonder what that was like back in the 1800's in Denmark. I thought about me now and wanting to be part of the prosperous middle class. How hard we have to work to have that and to be that.

As we walked around the exhibit and viewed his paintings we saw firsthand how great his talent was. The Church owns one of his paintings and 11 etchings. They gathered more of his paintings from churches in Denmark and Sweden to show here at BYU and it took them 9 years to get this together. I was astounded at the size of his paintings.

It was a great experience and I wrote this down off the sidecards next to his paintings. They tell more about the paintings and what to look at.

He said "God helps me.....that's what I think and then I am calm!"

This was said about him, "He dipped his paint brush in his heart."