Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week in Review

Last week flew by.

No school on Monday was a pleasure!

Tuesday we discovered that pink eye is going around. Teachers were sending their kids down to get MY opinion if it looked like pink eye. I AM NOT A NURSE. I DON"T KNOW. I JUST PLAY ONE AT WORK! I was pretty sure one girls was, her eyes were puffy and so I asked, "Are your eyes itchy?" She answered, "Of course not!." Oh, well ok. Go back to class.

Wednesday the nurse was in. When I got to work I saw her working in her office and I ran in and hugged her. She has been on vacation for the past 2 weeks. As the kids came in that day I swung my arm towards her office and said gleefully, "The nurse is here today, head on back!"
Wednesday was a baby shower for one of our teachers. My crocheted booties would have been the hit of the shower but another lady crocheted a headband and matching booties to the cutest watermelon outfit and a pair of cowboy boots. Yes, here in Utah they crochet cowboy boots for little babies!

Thursday right at lunch time a boy who is familiar to me even so much that I know where his parents work without looking at the emergency sheet and had a headache. I called to see if I could give him non aspirin. His mom did not answer so I left a message and told him to check back. While I was working with him my co worker was helping a boy who did not have lunch money and could not charge anymore. This sweet boy who I was helping offered money to the boy so he could eat. I kindly said, "Honey, it won't be a loan but a gift. You may not get paid back. He said that was ok. Isn't that just the sweetest!

On Friday I was amazing to myself! Our resource teacher brought a boy in who was just scratching like crazy first his neck, then his arms and then his back and then his neck, etc. She said he has a peanut allergy but has not been around nuts but look at him. I watched him for a minute and he had that shallow cough that I recognize as an asthma attack. I sat him by me on the special, purple chair and asked him some questions. He said no to everything I asked. I got him a cup of water and had him breathe in through his nose slowly and out his mouth slowly still wondering what he got into. I wondered if his mom changed their laundry soap and he had had PE. He was just so itchy. I called his mom and guess what she said? "Shoot he must be allergic to the cat." I was so happy that I called that one right . It was an allergy reaction. Ha and I am not a nurse!