Monday, December 21, 2009

Goose egg!

A 3rd grader comes into the office around 12. He has his hand over his eye and up on his forehead. I ask what is wrong and he says I fell and I hit my head. I think, fell outside on the ice, so I am surprised when he says he fell in the class room and hit his head on the desk.
By now he is coming around to where I am sitting and he takes his hand off his head and it is the biggest, purple raised goose egg. I say as my eyes fill with tears I am not supposed to hug you but you need one. He is and has been crying during this.
I get him an ice bag and have him sit by me so I can watch him while I try and find a parent.
His sister sees him in there and comes in to comfort him. She was a 6th grader. It's amazing to me how many times brothers and sisters are handy to comfort each other.
We find a parent, fill out an accident report and then he tells us how it happened. It should not be funny but it is.
He has decided when he walks through the door after lunch recess that he will pull in knee up inside into his zipped blue puffy coat. (The one he is still wearing when I hugged him so I know how puffy it is.) While his knee is up in his coat he will hop around on one foot. Yep, that is when he falls forward and hits his head on the corner of the desk. And yes, he was afraid to tell me that.
He will be ok, maybe a black eye and it makes for a good Monday story.