Thursday, December 17, 2009

Doers and Dreamers

The woman who slouched in the front seat of the bus distressed me. Her hair was matted,her face dirty, and though it was a cold night outside, she was wearing only a flimsy cotton dress and a blanket through which she had torn holes for her arms. What should I do? I wondered. She was so obviously in need. And at Christmas time, too. Wasn't there some shelter I could direct her to, some place where she'd get all the attention she required? No, I finally reasoned, her problems were too much for me. As I pondered - and rejected- possible solutions to the woman's plight, the bus came to a stop. A young man, poorly dressed but neat, rose to leave. He had got out and the bus had started up again before I really noticed what he had done. He had slipped off his black knit gloves and laid them on her lap.
John R. Sisley, Jr

"What will you and I give for Christmas this year? Let us in our lives give to our Lord and Savior the gift of gratitude by living His teachings and following in His footsteps, It was said of Him that He 'went about doing good.' As we do likewise, the Christmas spirit will be ours."
President Thomas S. Monson